How do I apply to be a Radio KOL DJ?
- Jezebelle and Prima Vera Angelhair (the current Hiring Team) have changed the way applications are accepted. Please read his forum post:  The rules in that post overrule any statements on this page, if necessary.
- Important Note: To be considered for a DJ position, you must be at least 18 years old, have a stable broadband connection, and be able to broadcast live to a ShoutCast server. You also need to be able to commit to a regular schedule.
- If you are interested in volunteering for Radio KoL please send an e-mail telling them a little about yourself, and why you want to be a dj, and attach a demo (mp3 or wav format).
- The demo should include the end of a song, the linking bit where you talk between the songs (don't make this too short) and then the beginning of the next song. Please send the e-mail to mailto:email@example.com. Do not send anything else to this address. Also include your time zone, and the times you would be available to DJ each week.
How do I connect to Radio KOL?
- Download a media player that supports streaming media (we suggest Winamp), then click one of the following links.
How do I submit a request to Radio KOL?
- You have three options:
- Send an in-game message to the DJ!
- E-mail your request to the e-mail address reported by chatbot* or
- If the DJ who is on has any chat program contact info in their player profiles, you can contact them there.
How do I send a song file to Radio KoL?
- Send files to the e-mail address reported by chatbot. Another option is to go to dropload.com to send files. All DJs have the ability to play MP3 files, but other formats (WMA, m4a, ogg, etc) sometimes unpredictably cause Winamp to crash. Most DJs choose not to risk this while on-air, so sending in a file in non-mp3 format may get your request delayed until some future show by that DJ.
What's the deal with "blue" and "green" messages?
- When the Radio KoL DJs have contests or tell you how to contact them, they will often say, "Send me a blue message," or, "Send me a green message."
- A "blue" message is a message typed into chat in KoL as follows: /msg DJsnamehere message body. This message will appear to the DJ in blue on his/her chat screen.
- A "green" message is a message sent to the DJ's KoL in-box. To do this, click on "send a message" in their player profile.
Why haven't I heard my request played yet? I sent the file in.
- Some DJs have specific formats and do not play requests that do not fit the format or theme. Some DJs do not or can not play requests at all. Also, please try to keep in mind that some shows (most notably EyeSpeculum's) are pretty much ALL requests. This means that often times a DJ can be backed up by as much as TWO HOURS on requests... it's coming! Be patient. :)
How do I convert a WMA/M4A/etc to MP3?
- Use a converter program to convert the format. One such program can be downloaded at Xilisoft. The demo is functional and free.
- Another popular conversion program that also edits and records is Audacity, which is both open source and free.
- Further examples of file taggers can be found at the RKoL Resources page.
What's the best media player to use while listening to Radio KoL?
- We recommend the latest version of Winamp. Realplayer and iTunes also work. Windows Media Player may (see next point)
- It is possible to listen to RKoL via WMP (v. 9+), it's just not easy. To listen, one needs to copy the radio link, paste it in the Open URL of WMP, and remove the "listen.pls" portion. (Thanks to DJ AiluroDragon for this tip!)
- Further examples of supported media players can be found at the RKoL Resources page.
How do I submit a bump/liner?
- All you have to do is record a little .wav file in windows sound recorder. The sound recorder is located at:
Start Menu/Programs/Accessories/Entertainment or C:/WINDOWS/system32/sndrec32.exe or C:/WINDOWS/SNDREC32.EXE
- Or, use the Audacity program mentioned above.
- When it is done, send it to the email address supplied by the DJ. After that, it's up to the DJ to edit it down and whatnot.
- Further examples of audio programs can be found at the RKoL Resources page.
The radio seems to be playing too slow/playing too fast/skipping.
- Sometimes the station sounds like it is playing to slow or too fast. Sometimes it seems to skip or do other funky things. Instead of getting into long technical explanations, lemme just tell you how to fix it: disconnect from the server and then reconnect. Nine times outta ten that'll fix it.
Who is the current DJ?
- You can check the current schedule at the DJ schedule page, or ask chatbot! Chatbot always knows who the DJ is (unless they're really new) and will tell you, if you send her a private message asking about the radio. Just "/msg chatbot radio" in the KOL chat pane.
Who owns/runs the station?
- Jick does not run the Radio, although he is an ardent supporter and also a DJ. The radio is administrated by a selected team of DJs:
o Cassandra - Operations Director, Webmistress & Vizier Emeritus o Opai - Relations Director o Stanley - Asst. Relations Director o Jezebelle - Hiring Director o Prima_Vera_Angelhair - Asst. Hiring Director o Cat_Killer - Scheduling Director o Haplo - Asst. Scheduling Director
Who is player #1 at (and creator of) Kingdom of Loathing?
- This is in the FAQ because it is the "Spam Stop" answer for new registrants at our Forums
Radio KoL - A Radio Station is Us!