Radio KOL

Radio KOL - Radio of the Kingdom
It is currently Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:27 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 15 posts ] 
 Post subject: GAME DEV CONTEST
PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 6:06 pm 
Radio-KOL Alumn

You're all invited!

The contest is this: Make a game. Any kind of game. Keep notes.

This contest is running right up to the end of January.

Talk to me in-game at caseyweederman or here or through email at sangamonkaltofen@gmail.com .

Prizes:
Grand Prize: A piece of radio gear AND HOLY CRAP ALSO a Gygaxian Libram!! And you join me on my podcast one week to talk about the process. (18+)
Three runners-up: A piece of radio button candy and you feature in my daily journal comic about making games.

On top of all this: A whole bunch of loot and meat for everybody. caseyweederbot is accepting prize donations.

RELEVANT LINKS:
The podcast
The comic

Last edited by caseyweederman on Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 5:21 pm 
Radio-KOL Admin
Radio-KOL Admin

I don't know if this will count for your contest because i modified a game rather than making one from scratch. But I had fun with it when I tried it out with my siblings.

I call it Ubber Monopoly:

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B2ih9qwYzNczMTAzNzM3ZGUtNWI4Yi00NTk0LTk4Y2ItOTk2ODQ3MmMyYjI5

check it out and tell me what you think

"You think it's futile? Ah, But futility is a necessity. A system without futility is very vulnerable. The key in opening a new gate is futility. Just because there's no use for it, is it futile? Sometimes the existence itself is enough."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:19 am 
Radio-KOL Newbie
Radio-KOL Newbie

GMORG’S caseyweedeeman Game Dev Competition Diary.

Day One: Today I discovered The caseyweedeeman Game Dev Competition at http://radio-kol.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=4702 and decided to play along. I am a huge fan of Pen and Paper RPG’s, LARP, Board games and Cheesy Old School Video Games… so I thought to myself “Gmorg, Why don’t you roll all four into one? Add a cheesy eight bit theme and elevator music for ambiance and it is a winner!”

This of course may or may not become an actual game… I may be swinging on a star but I would prefer that to being a fish.

In order to begin I need to draw together my list of elements to create such a game. What elements need to be here in order to make a great game?

List of elements: RPG/LARP

• Kickass Heroes/Villains- both PC and NPC
• Easy to use mechanics- based on a D10 or D20 system
• A Knowledgeable DM
• A bunch of people you get along with
• An interesting world in which to adventure.

List of elements: Board Games

• A Board
• An easy to follow set of instructions
• An achievable goal
• A bunch of people you get along with

List of elements: Old School Cheesy Computer games

• Cheesy music
• 8 bit characters
• Easy platform levels
• PVP and solitaire play modes

DIGRESSION: I have a four hour bus trip home and it came to me in a flash when the annoying child behind me was told to stop kicking the seat.

Gmorg’s Stereotype Bingo- The Public Transport edition.

Imagine you are stuck in/on a bus or train, maybe a plane or a boat (insert witticism here)… you are surrounded by people you don’t know, don’t want to know and yet you feel the compulsion to put your fellow traveling companions into pigeon holes… enter Stereotype Bingo- the Public Transport edition!

Each Bingo card is divided into 9 squares. Each square has a random selection of the game stereotypes. Fill in your card first and you are the winner!

Stereotypes include: Hobo/Homless, Student, Furry, Geek/Nerd, Tech Freak, Fashion Victim, Metrosexual, Hippy, Family, Senior Citizen, Hipster, Irritating Child,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:39 pm 
Radio-KOL Alumn

I assure you there is nothing wrong with being a fish, thank you very much. <3

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 4:22 pm 
Radio-KOL Admin
Radio-KOL Admin

I stand on my laurels:

First Annual KoL Chess Tournament
Second Annual KoL Chess Tournament

It's just a shame that the online version that a player created is no longer active, or I'd host another. It allowed others to follow the games backwards and forwards, during and after. Really very neatly done.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 4:23 am 
Radio-KOL Alumn

Joy: That is really cool, and you do get points for re-imagining a game, but I would still encourage you to come up with something from scratch.

Gmorg: That's awesome, I really like how you're keeping a log of your progress. Keep it up!

Spacey: That's not a game. :<

PVA: Ooh, that's cool. If you can pull up the code I'll see about hosting it.

Post subject: Gmorg's Diary Part two
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 2:40 am 
Radio-KOL Newbie
Radio-KOL Newbie

Day 2+

After a few days of mulling things over in my mind I discovered that not all the elements will slot together- Do I want a solitaire game or a game for a group? Do I want something that requires online interaction or human interaction? I went back to the initial thoughts and decided to go with a “How to Host a Murder” type LARP that can- if I get things right- be transferable to a longer timeframe such like your more classic D&D/ White Wolf type RPG. To draw in my Cheesy Computer games I have decided to “borrow” a few characters from my favourite games.

WORKING TITLE: How to Host a Games Night.

Player Characters-Choose from: Pac-Man; Miss Pac-man; Samas; MegaMan; Sonic; Mario, Luigi, Princess Peach, Yoshi; TMNT- Leonardo, Donatello, Rafael, Michelangelo, April, Splinter, Casey Jones; Mortal Kombat – Kitana, Raiden, Smoke, Lui Kang, Johnny Cage, Sonya Blade; Frogger; Street Fighter-; Donkey Kong; Crash Bandicoot; Kirby or Link.

Each player character has his/her own back story, character sheet and special abilities. These are based on the individual characters original game. For Example Pac-Man/ Miss Pac-Man has a voracious appetite, high energy expenditure per round/scene and is unaffected by physical attacks.

Players can either be assigned a character- single scene or “dinner party” option- or select a character from those available for an extended campaign.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 2:30 pm 
Radio-KOL Newbie
Radio-KOL Newbie

Never fear, caseyweederman, I am here to give you a game.

At first, I was like "Dude, I'll make a game that fits on the back of a business card to give away." So I tried to design that game, and I can upload a copy of the notes from that failed experiment in mental thought if you want.

Then I was "A convention fighting game" based around business cards. Then I remembered that I actually saw those rules posted by someone else, and the last thing I wanted to do was to rip off someone else's idea.

So this weekend, I had to make trips to the following: Tandy Leather, Best Buy, Walmart and Game Stop. And it was *NOT* a good experience out and about. So that experience combined with the creative juices of cats fighting outside my bedroom window this morning lead to the creation of "Soldan's Periless Day Out." And yes, the spelling error is intentional.

This game went together pretty quick, and there were a couple of changes of move spaces, like a bonus that moved you into a penalty and a penalty that moved you to a short cut space. Without further ado, here is the link to Soldan's Periless Day Out

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:13 pm 
Radio-KOL Alumn

Hahaha, nice. I look forward to playing that.

GUYS GUYS
TWO DAYS LEFT
INCLUDING TODAY
THE CUTOFF IS TOMORROW NIGHT AT MIDNIGHT
BE THERE

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 2:09 pm 
Radio-KOL Alumn

having made a game for this in about an hour while drunk on NYE, should I post something here? I have no idea if non-playtested slightly squiffy boardgames made in an hour would count.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:22 pm 
Radio-KOL DJ
Radio-KOL DJ

None of these game seem to specify clothing requirements...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:59 pm 
Radio-KOL Alumn

Post is, CK!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:33 pm 
Radio-KOL Alumn

Notes for this one are missing from my brain, mostly, as I was drunk when I made it.

I remember that I came up with the basic idea (BWC meets Ludo) and Ironfist made it playable and fun.

http://jemontague.com/wp-content/upload ... A-GAME.png

Rules are explained on the pic, but I'll transcribe here:
(Typos retained for the lulz).
"Rules:
2-10 Players
Roll Die. [a D20] Move #squares. If roll 20, roll again.
Your goal: To reach the end of the board.

A tool: an e-card generator. When you land on the "card" square, the person opposite you makes a card, you ask the machine for a random card and it might be your opposite's card or one from a previous game.
Cards can NEVER BE DELETED.

On these cards are challenges. If you succeed in the challenge you may roll again if not, you go back four space. The e-cards must be achieveable. This will be voted on by all players.

You MUST pass one challenge to win. If you get to the end and you have not passed any challenges, you must go back to the HALF WAY SQUARE."

So, when I'm drunk I can mostly spell, but I'm very terse with my language.

Clarification: The e-card generator is a little plasticy device with a screen that presents a blank space for the users to draw (and write) on. This is just like Blank White Cards, but the cards live on in the machine. There would be a facility for a hard re-set, and it would only store a maximum of 150 cards.

Oh, and the board would be in all pretty colours, compared to the white thing presented above.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:32 am 
Radio-KOL Alumn

CONTEST CLOSED
Thank you for participating in this year's Zero Percent Game Dev make-a-game contest!
I'll be taking some time to measure up your entries.
Good luck!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 8:13 pm 
Radio-KOL Alumn

Okay, the winners are going to be announced TONIGHT! Tune in at 9PM EST.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 15 posts ]