Radio KOL

Radio KOL - Radio of the Kingdom
It is currently Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:15 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 1:15 pm 
Radio-KOL Admin
Radio-KOL Admin

Hi Puzzle Fans!
Big prize: Voluminous Radio Pants! Check this post for details!

Season 2 of Solve My Maze is open! Eight puzzles over eight weeks - solve them all for a chance at big prizes!

A new puzzle is released during my Monday show each week, and you have one week to solve it.
If you think you know the answer send it to me (jolson42, #1335329) via KMail (AKA green message). I will sometimes accept answers via private messages in chat, but KMail is preferred, as it allows me to keep a record of submissions.

Any player who solves a puzzle will win a gold star, a six-pack of Supernova Champagne, and some other prize, varying from puzzle to puzzle.
Each solver will also be entered into the draw for a radio button candy, and sometimes other prizes too.
In addition, the final puzzle will be a big one. There are seven regular puzzles, and then in weeks 8 and 9, the metapuzzle. Each puzzle you solve will earn you part of the metapuzzle, and you'll (probably, unless you're sneaky) need them all to solve it.
Solving any of the seven weekly puzzles will earn you a part of the metapuzzle, and the eighth piece will be released to everybody on Monday 16th March. If you solve the metapuzzle before the next Monday show (23rd March), you will get two entries into the major prize draw, and a radio button candy. On the 23rd, all the pieces will be made available to everyone, so you can give it a shot without solving all the other puzzles... but if you submit your answer after my show on the 23rd, you don't get the RBC, and you only get one entry into the prize draw.
The major prize draw for the Voluminous Radio Pants will happen during the next Monday show - on the 30th of March. That's two weeks of metapuzzle opportunity... make them count!

Puzzle Solving Tips
  • The answer to a puzzle is always a word, simple phrase or name. If you think the answer is more complicated than that, perhaps you're not done yet?
  • Have you encountered a phrase that could be important? Do you think you need a definition, or more information on something? Use Google! Google is your best friend.
  • The title of the puzzle is never required, but can sometimes include a hint. More often than not, it's just something that sounds appropriate for the theme.
  • The same goes for colours. I'm not colourblind at all, but I'm aware that many people are, and I wouldn't want to prevent them from joining in.
  • Feeling stuck? Put it aside, and try again another time. Sometimes it helps just to have a fresh perspective.
  • Hints are released throughout the week, so check back later!
  • There are a couple of common things you can expect to see. If you have a list of words, you might try looking at the first letter of each. You might use anagrams. A set of numbers could be a code. And generally, if two things appear to be related, they probably are.
  • Finally, if you're not sure about something, ask! Ultimately, I want you to have fun with these, so while I'm reluctant to just give away the answer, I'm always happy to give you more hints and tips.

Season 2 - Metapuzzle
(16/03/2015 - 30/03/2015)

It's the metapuzzle! Solve other puzzles from this season to collect all eight parts, and put them together to find the final answer.
Two weeks to solve it... if you do so in the first week, you instantly win a Radio Button Candy, and get two chances to win Voluminous Radio Pants.
If you wait until the second week, you will get all eight pieces for free, and some hints, but only one VRP chance, and no RBC.
Up to you: how much do you want to win?

All eight pieces are available now! Click here to see them! (Make sure to click the gear in the upper right of each image, so you can download them at full resolution. It'll be easier to put them together if they're all the same size!)

For more info on prizes, hints, and solvers so far:
Check the end of the thread. (click here to jump there)

Last edited by Jolson42 on Tue Sep 17, 2013 6:40 am, edited 4 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 1:47 pm 
Radio-KOL Admin
Radio-KOL Admin

P0 - Secret Contest!

This puzzle is a secret, and you can solve it at any time. The puzzle itself, and how to submit entries, are left for you to figure out yourself.
Every solver gets a prize, and because it's obscurer than my other contests, you also go on the hall of fame!
This used to be in my profile, but then I discovered the character limit. :-|

01 - 10/09/2013 - Cindipool
02 - 14/09/2013 - Mco
03 - 16/09/2013 - Hawksmoor
04 - 17/09/2013 - Ezandora
05 - 23/09/2013 - DJGecko
06 - 24/09/2013 - Jebbie
07 - 25/09/2013 - Bubbaboink
08 - 07/10/2013 - EricDraven
09 - 08/10/2013 - TowerWiz
10 - 19/10/2013 - Mukiba
11 - 18/11/2013 - thecatlady
12 - 22/11/2013 - FractaLP
13 - 19/03/2014 - Tania Australis
14 - 06/03/2015 - Jonybob
15 - 23/02/2017 - squishy_the_frog
16 - 23/02/2017 - kenny kamAKAzi

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 1:49 pm 
Radio-KOL Admin
Radio-KOL Admin

P1 - Playlist
(09/09/2013)

Here are the first eighteen songs from my first show... What is the nineteenth song I played?

Homestuck - Pumpkin Cravings
    Aqua - Cartoon Heroes
    Savage Garden - Affirmation
    Skrillex - Bangarang (feat. Sirah)
    Linkin Park - Numb
    Eskimo Joe - Black Fingernails, Red Wine
    Tom Lehrer - We Will All Go Together When We Go
    The Hives - Tick Tick Boom
    Electric Light Orchestra - Mr. Blue Sky
    David Bowie - Ziggy Stardust
    OK Go - Invincible
    The Rolling Stones - Jumpin' Jack Flash
    The Killers - Losing Touch
    Evanescence - Bring Me To Life
    No Doubt - Spiderwebs
    Idina Menzel & Kristen Chenoweth - For Good
    Neon Trees - Animal
    The Grates - Science Is Golden

For the first week, I had three prizes, and three solvers, so they were all winners, too!

Solvers/Winners:
Granite_Grizz
BlortHorc
Zimzimzim

Honourable mentions to Stony Porker, who nearly had it, and Haplo, who got the answer, but is a DJ, and ineligible for the regular prize.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 2:12 pm 
Radio-KOL Admin
Radio-KOL Admin

P2 - Hexagons
(16/09/2013 - 21/09/2013)

HINT #1: It looks kind of like honeycomb, doesn't it? Each cell can be either full or empty.
HINT #2: We need to know which cells are full and which are empty. Perhaps the numbers are related?
HINT #3: Have you ever played minesweeper? This is very similar... There is one obvious difference, and one more subtle.

Solvers:
Hawksmoor
Kailen4
Ezandora
Cindipool

Winner:
Hawksmoor!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 1:24 pm 
Radio-KOL Admin
Radio-KOL Admin

P3 - Split
(23/09/2013 - 28/09/2013)

(Note: the image credit is not technically part of the puzzle, but if you don't recognise the image, it might help.)

HINT #1: The fish in the picture is a red herring, both literally and metaphorically.
HINT #2: Have you actually assembled the puzzle, or are you just guessing at the contents? That's cheating, and it won't get you anywhere.
HINT #3: Read between the lines.

Solvers:
Mco
Ezandora
Cindipool
Gmorg
Yarglefoot

Winner:
Yarglefoot

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 1:33 pm 
Radio-KOL Admin
Radio-KOL Admin

P4 - Fitting In
(30/09/2013 - 05/10/2013)

HINT #1: These items are all hats, but they have something else in common as well. Maybe check The Wiki?
HINT #2: There are ten hats, and ten rows on the grid. Of course, the hats won't all fit... maybe something else does?
HINT #3: When you've filled the grid, you'll find what looks like a one word answer, but you actually have one step left to get to the final, two word answer.

Solvers:
Cindipool
Mukiba
Ezandora
Granite_Grizz
Bubbaboink

Winners:
This week, there are two winners! The radio button candy went to Bubbaboink, but Bubbaboink also donated 69 lollipop sticks. In a second roll-off, these went to Mukiba!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 1:45 pm 
Radio-KOL Admin
Radio-KOL Admin

P5 - Hunting with the Stars
(07/10/2013 - 12/10/2013)

HINT #1: Click here for the hint image.
HINT #2: Adjective nouns, adverb nouns, verb.
HINT #3: To make that a little clearer, the 32 words leave 26 letters remaining. These spell out an instruction, not an answer. You will need to focus on a second set, of seven letters.

Solvers:
Mco
Cindipool
Ezandora

Winner:
Mco

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 1:48 pm 
Radio-KOL Admin
Radio-KOL Admin

P6 - Tonsha Sudoku
(14/10/2013 - 19/10/2013)

HINT #1: You are not looking at a set of twenty individual shapes, but ten pairs.
HINT #2: Tonsha is Japanese for pigpen.
HINT #3: When you have solved the code, you have one step left to get the answer. I'd like the English title, not the Japanese one.

Solvers:
Ezandora
Mco
Cindipool
Mukiba
Celsey

Winner:
Cindipool

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:32 pm 
Radio-KOL Admin
Radio-KOL Admin

P7 - Fortune Teller
(21/10/2013 - 28/10/2013)

This puzzle is a .pdf file! Click here to get it.
(If this link goes down, please let me know!)

HINT #1: Yes, actually making this for yourself is the first step. Try googling for things like "origami fortune teller"
HINT #2: There are dots, and there are numbers. I hope it doesn't take long for you to connect these concepts.
HINT #3: It is significant that this puzzle is titled "Fortune Teller", and not "Salt Cellar" or "Chatterbox", or whatever else you like to call these things. The answer will be another kind of fortune teller.

Only solver, and therefore winner: Mco!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 2:28 pm 
Radio-KOL Admin
Radio-KOL Admin

P8 - 'Mon in the Middle
(28/10/2013 - 4/11/2013) [possibly extended due to schedule change]
(Click here for larger.)

HINT #1: For those of you unfamiliar with Pokémon, each of the creatures shown here has a single type (though others can have two). Certain types are more or less useful against each other. For example, fire burns grass, grass absorbs water, and water puts out fire, so those types have a rock/paper/scissors triangle.
Specifically, a defending pokémon can be weak (2x damage), take regular damage (1x), be resistant (1/2x) or be immune (0x) to an attack.
HINT #2: Here's another example: Psychic attacks have no effect on Dark pokémon. Dark attacks are not very effective against Fairy pokémon. This information should allow you to fill three pokéballs.
HINT #3: Fire is at the top of the diagram. When all given pokémon have been placed in their balls, there is only one pokémon that can fit in the middle space. (If you really know your stuff, you might think of another way to fill the middle ball. It is not the official answer, but it will be accepted.)

Solvers:
Cindipool
Ezandora
Mco

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:48 pm 
Radio-KOL Admin
Radio-KOL Admin

P9 - Attempted Murder
(6/11/2013-13/11/2013)

HINT #1: These words share a theme. Perhaps try Googling a few of them together?
HINT #2: When you have a second set of words to go with the first, read down, not across.
HINT #3: Not a hint, so much as a tip for when you submit your answer: I will accept two different answers for this puzzle, but some animals are more equal than others.

Solvers:
Mco
Ezandora
Cindipool
thecatlady
Tachyonic Particle

Winner: Mco!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:51 am 
Radio-KOL Admin
Radio-KOL Admin

P10 - King of Codes
(13/11/2013 - 20/11/2013)

Hint #1: There are three layers of codes here. If you're having trouble with the second, think about what the third could be, and that might help.
Hint #2: Morse code, a Caesar cipher, Pig Latin.
Hint #3: To be more specific, the second layer of code (the Caesar cipher) is rot13.

Solvers:
EroticMuppetKiller
Mco
ROdger_FLint
Bubbaboink
thecatlady
Ezandora
Cindipool

Winner: EroticMuppetKiller!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:09 pm 
Radio-KOL Admin
Radio-KOL Admin

P11 - The Cake-Shaped DJ Arena
(20/11/2013 - 27/11/2013)

Note: in the context of this puzzle, there is no significance to who was the challenger and who was the challengee, only that they were a pair. I have updated the puzzle text to make this clearer. Also, please note that each DJ can only compete in a given event once.

Special thanks to Bodisaniwi, original creator of the puzzle I remixed into what you see before you.

HINT 1: Having trouble solving the grid? Here are a few tips. 1 - Mark correct combinations with a tick, and incorrect combinations with a cross (or colour them differently, or whatever. Just a suggestion); when you tick a box, cross out the ten other boxes in that row and column. 2 - A person can't compete against his or her self. 3 - If Player A plays Hide and Seek with Player B, make sure you mark both the A/B intersection and the B/A intersection.
HINT 2: In each event, there are four players who appear on both sides of the grid, two who appear only on the left, and two who appear only on the top. Let's call these groups A, B and C. If you were to match someone from A with someone from B, that A person would be forced to play against somebody else, and that violates the One Match Per DJ rule. Therefore, DJs in group A can only match with each other, and those in group B can only match with those in group C, and vice versa.
HINT 3: When you have your list of matchups, there's one step left to arrive at a single-word answer. It might help to recall how previous puzzles have converted lists to simpler information.

Solvers:
FractaLP
Soldan
kaateke2
Mukiba
Werefrog
Cindipool
Mco
nuudeli
Ezandora
sfwarlock
JLE
Haplo (DJ - not in rolloff for big prizes, but well done anyway!)

Winners:
1st prize - nuudeli
2nd prize - JLE
3rd prize - sfwarlock

Well done everyone! Stay tuned for further puzzles in the future!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 11:04 am 
Radio-KOL Admin
Radio-KOL Admin

P12 - Six Degrees of Ninjas, Pirates, Zombies and Robots
(16/03/2014 - 23/03/2014)

Welcome back everyone! First puzzle for the year... feels good.
This puzzle is sponsored by Prima Vera Angelhair, who gave me two Zombie Pineal Glands last week, inspiring me to come up with a new puzzle!
Those pineal glands are going out to two lucky winners, drawn from the pool of all who solve the puzzle, and there is a third place prize of a radio button candy.
As usual, anyone who solves the puzzle will receive a prize pack of a gold star, some supernova champagne, and an assortment of other goodies.

Remember to check the puzzle solving and answer submission tips listed in the first post of this thread!
This contest is open until my show next Sunday (23/03/2014), and hints will be added to this page through the week.

Without further ado, here is this week's puzzle:

Important note: This puzzle has been edited to remove a red herring noticed by Ezandora, and also to make it harder to guess the answer by chance, rather than solving the puzzle properly. If you give me the old answer, it will still be accepted, but please be aware that there is now a new, better answer.

Hint #1: A set of symbols, with several being repeated... looks like a cipher! The middle set is a good starting point.
Hint #2: There are two hints included in the title of the puzzle; one is the theme, and the other is a clue to help you solve the puzzle.
Hint #3: These four games all have something in common... Have you heard of Six Degrees of Kevin Bacon?

Solvers:
adwriter
Werebear
TamGarTrinKi
Ezandora
AiluroDragon (DJ - earns a solver prize package, but will not be in roll-off)
Sherm Firmwood
Cindipool
JessKahh
Crusader Rabbit
Sagebunny

Winners:
JessKahh and adwriter both won a pineal gland and an RBC.
Sagebunny was the runner up, earning an RBC.
Everyone else gets a copy of Tales of a Kansas Toymaker. Thanks for playing!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 12:53 pm 
Radio-KOL Admin
Radio-KOL Admin

Season 2, Puzzle 1 - Off With Their Heads!
(26/01/2015 - 02/02/2015)

IT FEELS GOOD TO BE BACK!
This week, solvers of the puzzle will win a copy of Tales of Spelunking, in addition to the regular solver's pack. The winner, selected at random from all entrants, will get a radio button candy and three more Tales of Spelunkings!

Here's this week's puzzle: (click for larger)

Hint 1:
Every quote has an author... I'm sure you can fill in the blanks.
Hint 2:
The title of the puzzle is your first instruction.
Hint 3:
I like using repetition in my puzzles. There are four stages here, leading to a two-word answer.
Bonus Hint:
Tanls? What's a tanl? If you're wondering the same thing, you should recheck your list!

Solvers:
Mukiba
Salad_Shooter
Sheepdip
robmooseman
Gmorg (DJ, not eligible for major prize)
Jonybob

Winners:
robmooseman!